Tuesday, January 10, 2012

My Rhassoul Clay experience and then some


As mentioned in Naturally Yours (on Facebook), I was minding my own business buying some Herbatint with my cousin when right below it I saw something called Ghassoul Clay.  I was like eh? Could it be? I picked it up to read in the back.  Needless to say what kind of ruckus I made in the store!  I wasted no time picking it up and wanted to try it.  Since I wasn't due yet to wash my hair, I thought I would plan it all out and go for it!

I finally got some time on Sunday and decided if I was going to wash my hair, I have to go all the way.  I got my herbs out and decided to do an infusion.  Wait a minute! Can't forget my scalp, I'm determined to make that  dermatitis a thing of the past.  I've been getting great results with my ACV treatments (I will do another post about that) that now I've decided to maintain it prophylactically for at least another 2-3 months.  But this time, I decided instead of using plain ACV and water, I will infuse it!  Must I say... HEAVEN!!!  Anyway, that's for another post! Let's get back to the Rhassoul wash and my infused tea!


Since Rhassoul has some conditioning and strengthening effects, I decided to add some herbs with similar properties.  I've settled on the following:
  • Chamomile
  • Lavender
  • Rose Buds
  • Rosehip
  • Blue Malva
  • Marshmallow Roots
  • Burdock Roots
  • Horsetail
  • Nettle
  • Sage
  • Cooltsfoot

While my tea was warming up, I decided to use the ACV infusion on my hair.  I always use ACV and water on my hair to detangle it before I wash and to let it penetrate on my scalp for any residual fungal (itchy) bugs that might have lingered on for the past week or so.  Also, my hair would be damped for the application. 

I started mixing by added the infused tea to about 3-4 spoonful of Rhassoul Clay.  It is important to place ANY clay in non metallic container and to stir with non metallic spoon.  I also added some of my infused ACV, AVG (Aloe Vera Gel, I know.. read my last post), about 1 tsp of my infused scalp oil.  I think the latter wasn't needed, at least not even that much!  I kept adding my infused tea until I get a yogurt like consistency.  I didn't want to make as much as I did last time with the Bentonite Clay, lesson learned!

Application was a breeze.  It wasn't messy at all!  I applied it as if I was applying a relaxer and it felt like it on my hair.  From the consistency of the mixed clay, you can tell it was much finer than Bentonite.  It didn't weigh down my hair as the Bentonite did.  I also applied it all over my face. Once I was done, I put my plastic cap on and left it for 50 mins.  That was not intentional!  It was supposed to be 30 mins but I got to cleaning and started cooking, didn't see  time flying away.  



When it was time to rinse, I made sure I didn't make the same mistake I did last time by shampooing my hair.  I took away all my shampoos and conditioners.  Rinsing it off was a breeze!  I thought I'd have residues left on my hair and scalp.  They washed away quite fast.  My hair feels.. please give me a moment to find the right words here.. you know when your hair was relaxed, you have just finished with that conditioner that your hair oh so loves?  You know how silky smooth it feels to the touch as the water runs through it?  That's EXACTLY the feeling I had but as I ran my hand down on my hair I felt waves after waves of curls under my fingers.. smooth bumps of curls.  You got me?  I don't know how else to explain it.  My curls were loosen but not BOING BOING like as it did with the Bentonite.  Don't get me wrong, I love the BOING BOING curls but deep down, I knew I wouldn't do the Bentonite Clay hair mask too often because I love my tight shrinky curls.  But I love these even more!!! Now I understand what everyone is writing about!


As for styling, I did my regular twists.  But since I had my infusing tea, I said why  not try the Slippery Elm.  That thing is DA BOMB! Curls were popping like crazy! I still need to experiment with it more.  I found out that a little goes a long way, no need to boil it or add hot water to it.  It mixes like Metamucil.  The only thing I don't like about it is that it makes lump! I need to find a way to beat this!



Mistake I made this time? NONE! Can you believe it!?! It was a great mixing day for me! I've learned from my previous mistakes. Well, I wouldn't call the Slippery Elm a mistake, it was expected and I wasn't ready to take my blender out to mix it.

Oh! I forgot to mention something very important.  If you're easily grossed out, stop reading.  I had a new pus filled pimple on my face (something I haven't had in a long time).  After my mask and while I was doing my hair, I moved closed to the mirror to see my curl definition with the Slippery Elm and I noticed that not only the pus is gone, but it looked like it was 2-3 days pus free.. know what I mean?  You know when the skin is peeling off a pimple as it is healing? That's what it looked like! So when they say that it sucks toxins away, it sure does!

I'm seriously considering going store-bought shampooless.   I have my black soap which my hair loves; now the clay that it loves!  Why must I deny myself of that?  There are no "this product is going to make your hair great, but.." about them.  MY hair loves them so I'm going to stick with them!  I will let you know in the coming weeks what I've decided.

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. If clay lumps when you mix. Add acv to it reacts with the clay and causes it to smooth out. Works with bentonite and French green guess it works with rhassoulReplyDelete

    ReplyDelete